sunnuntai 30. joulukuuta 2018

Eternity Project: Windshield Replacement

Windshield replacement would be a relatively simple operation, but when it comes to old cars, surprises and obstacles cannot be avoided.

The first problem is, of course, finding a windshield, but there are still some available ones - and I got the glass with the car itself.

The second and third problem is finding a new seal and decorative strips (list, moulding). Both are "sold", but when you "buy" one or send an inquiry, they don't actually have them anymore.

I started the project in the summer with a windshield replacement, but the old seal with the listings was in so bad condition that I found the only sensible alternative to find either a new seal + strips or some used ones that would be as good as possible.



I asked for the seal around the world, but nothing was found.

The last ace in my sleeve: I asked from a manufacturer whose catalog included N10's rubber seals (catalog was from many years ago though).

I got an answer in a few days:

 - There is none available, because we don't manufacture these anymore.

Well, I guessed this, just asking...

It took four hours when the friendly customer service officer replied again:

- I checked the stocks and found five of these!

Awsome! I bought all of them.

This was in October-November 2018, and it was early of December when they finally arrived to Finland, after all the import taxes etc:




Finally, on Saturday 29th December I finally had the time to get the windshield installed - the mouldings are still missing, but they are fortunately also available.

Windshield installation is a relatively simple operation, but requires precision and a lot of patience. A few corners seemed to be unlikely to go in place, but it finally it did :)




Of course, "smaller" things been made, but no major things before finishing the windshield project.

Next, rear registration plate "holders" will probably be repaired, and then I will think about repairing the rear fenders and other metal / paintwork too.

As long as the cosmetic aspects have been dealt with, then the technical / mechanical side is considered - at least the brakes must be fixed and maybe something is done under the hood too.


-- Ilkka

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti

A lot of progress...

A long time has gone since last update... Last year, we gave the Cherry a ride on a trailer to my new garage and plan was to get some work...